Sunday, September 30, 2007

Exciting Saturday Evening

I spent Saturday afternoon shopping to alleviate my disappointment about my upcoming World Card Making Day event. I advertised 3 days in the local paper and I even had a short spoof in the Business section. NOONE CALLED OR EMAILED to register to attend. My own mother isn't even coming.
SO, as I said, I spent the whole afternoon in Retail Therapy. I found some cool rub-ons at Big Lots (Making Memories) and some heidi grace designs "Pocket Scraps" cardstock stickers. I went to a couple thrift stores and also to Super Wal-Mart. I had lunch by myself at Fazoli's, on the phone with my hubby who was visiting his dad in the hospital. (Nothing major, just a small infection)
After Wal-Mart, it was about 5:30ish and I decided to head for home. BUT, I had to make a stop at Starbuck's first and then start my way. Oh how I love Starbuck's Caramel Frapp's with chocolate chips added....MMMMMM......

As I got onto the highway and headed south, I saw a sight that I had no idea I would be seeing this evening. A farm truck, loaded with soybeans, overturned on the road in front of me. Dust was rising into the air. I slowed down and pulled over to the side. I jumped out of my car and ran up to the truck, laying on it's side. As I am running, I am thinking, "I can't believe I'm doing this." But something made me get out of the car. I know CPR and First Aid. We have to take the class every year for work. Maybe that was the reason. I couldn't just sit there and not attempt to help.

Maybe it was a way of getting me out of my funk and realize there are more important things than being disappointed about a silly cardmaking event. Helping others who may need me is more important. Life is important. Being a compassionate person is important.

As I got to the truck, I saw a young boy sitting on the top, outside of the cab. The father was getting out of the truck through the passenger side window and grandpa was in the driver's seat, unable to get out. I repeatedly asked if everyone was OK. Luckily, noone was hurt, but grandpa sat in the cab behind the wheel, and was looking out through the unbroken windshield at me. He was moving and talking. Other people ran up to the truck and someone called 911. The dad and son got down from the truck and I took the son over to the side of the road and sat on the guard rail with him. He was as white as a ghost. All this went on in about 2 minutes.

There was a nurse who ran up and asked if everyone was OK. She sat down with Mitchell and I. We both asked him questions to make sure he was alert. The fire department pulled up and they started examining. Dad was on the phone, grandpa was still doing OK in the truck. The ambulances pulled up. Police pulled up. The fire department busted out the front windshield and used the "Jaws of Life" to open up the cab of the truck and get grandpa out. Everyone was busily working and examining. (It's amazing how everyone knows exactly what to do and in what order.) Organized chaos, I guess.
Dad's BP was elevated and was advised to go to the hospital, along with Mitchell. His shoulder was sore from Dad landing on him during the accident. Mom arrived and took them to the hospital. The extrication was complete and grandpa was free. He walked, assisted by the paramedics to the stretcher. He was wheeled to the ambulance and driven to the hospital.

All this took about an hour. Maybe longer. It seemed like an instant.

Thank God everyone was going to be OK.

Thank God for putting things in perspective.



Wishing you inspiration (in many ways),

Lori

No comments: